New Year's Resolutions for My Car
I start each year off like everyone else, with New Year’s resolutions—eat healthier and exercise more. Well this year I thought I would have a New Year’s resolution for my car! If you’re looking for some smart resolutions that will help you save money and maintain the value of your car, here are some resolutions you may want to make.
- Get it detailed—Start off the year by giving your vehicle what he/she deserves—a good detailing. Take your car to a professional and have them detail your vehicle inside and outside. This will help with your car’s minor imperfections and makes you feel like you just purchased a new vehicle.
- Rotate the tires—You should rotate your tires every 5,000 miles so that all tires wear down evenly. This will extend your tire life and save you money.
HAVE YOU RESOLVED TO BUY A NEW CAR?
This eBook will lead you through the process, step by step.
- Give it an annual checkup—Every year you should bring your vehicle into a mechanic and have them check the necessities—automatic transmission fluid, battery and cables, belts, brakes, air filters, coolant, exhaust, power steering fluid, tires, and windshield wipers to name a few. This will also save money in the long run.
- Make some eco-friendly changes—Reduce the weight in your vehicle, as it takes more gas to move something heavy vs something lighter; reduce air-conditioner use—in Vermont, we have the luxury of clean crisp air, so just roll down your windows; and stop idling—this produces toxic emissions. Next time I am at a drive-thru I am going to turn off my vehicle. The people waiting on me will love me, because they won’t have to smell my toxic emissions anymore. I won’t only be saving the earth, but saving some money on gas.
- Keep it clean—The cleaner you keep your car, the more you’ll enjoy the ride and the better it will look when you want to trade it in. Here are some ideas for keeping it clean.
- Keep some wipes in your car so you can clean the dashboard periodically.
- Because the cup holder is always messy, I found a trick to help clean that. Spray all-purpose cleaner on a sock (yes a sock). Then put the sock over a cup and rub it around the cup holder and you will see a much cleaner cup holder.
- Every night when you get out of the vehicle, make sure you take everything out of the car so when you get it in it the next time, it will be neat and orderly.
Along with saving money with some of these New Year’s resolutions tips for your vehicle, you must be financially savvy with your savings. Put the money that you save all year long into a “car” savings account so you will have money for a down payment for your next vehicle. Because you have kept your vehicle well maintained, your car’s resale value will be better when you trade it in for your next vehicle. Lastly, don’t forget to review your credit report for inaccuracies and continue making timely payments so you will get that great interest rate you deserve.